REPORT OF DEAN’S VISIT FROM THOMAS JEFFERSON UNIVERSITY, PHILADELPHIA, USA
Dr. Marie Ann Marino, EdD, RN, FAAN
Dean & Professor
Jefferson College of Nursing
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia
Institutional Visit from16.09.2019 to 20.09.2019
As per the schedule Dean from Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, USA had visited the institution and the itinerary with photographs.
|16.09.2019 Monday||10.00 – 11.00 am||Interaction with All Faculty
|11.15 – 11.45 am||College Presentation by
Dr. Sudha A Raddi, Dean, Faculty of Nursing
|11.45 – 12.30 pm||Visit to Simulation Labs
|2.30 – 4.00 pm||Meeting with Hon’ble Vice Chancellor of KAHER, Deans of Nursing & Physiotherapy & Research Foundation Officials (Venue: Research Foundation)|
|17.09.2019 Tuesday||10.00 – 11.00 am||Presentation by Dr. Marie Ann Marino
An overview of TJU College of Nursing
|11.15 – 12.15 pm||Interaction with Nurse Practitioner Students|
|2.30 – 4.00 pm||Discussion with HOD’s regarding joint projects and funding (Conference Hall)|
|18.09.2019 Wednesday||10.00 – 10.30 am||Meeting with Venudhwani CRS, Coordinator Exam Section & NSS PO (Dean’s Office)|
|10.45 – 1.30 pm||Tour of KLES Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital & Medical Research Centre|
|2.00 – 3.00 pm||Meeting with Clinical & Curriculum Coordinators|
|3.15 – 4.00 pm||Interaction with PG Students (Conference Hall)|
|19.09.2019 Thursday||10.00 – 11.00 am||Visit & Interaction with MPH department faculty & students|
|11.15 – 12.30 pm||Interaction with students (Brainstorm ideas for International Student Collaboration / Exposure / Exchange|
|2.15 – 4.30 pm||Visit to Primary Health Centre, Kinaye|
|20.09.2019 Friday||10.00 – 11.00 am||Presentation by all HOD’s regarding planned research projects with TJU and their progress|
|11.15 – 12.30 pm||Meeting with Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Registrar, Dean of Nursing regarding Future Plan|
Dr. Marie Ann Marino, Dean Faculty of Nursing welcomed with bouquets by Prof. Sudha Raddi, Dean Faculty of Nursing, Principal, KAHER INS, Prof. Sumitra LA, Vice Principal and other HOD’s. Dr.Sudha Raddi presented about the presentation of college highlighting the salient features and achievements of Institution. After the presentation took a round of the KAHER INS led by principal and vice principal. They visited all the labs, library and was appreciated.
Meeting With Dean
Interaction With Faculty
Visit To Child Health Nursing Lab
Visit To Community Health Nursing Lab
Visit To Nursing Foundation Lab
Visit to OBG Nursing Lab
Meeting with Hon’ble Vice Chancellor of KAHER, Deans of Nursing & Physiotherapy & Research Foundation Officials (Venue: Research Foundation)
Presentation by Dr. Marie Ann Marino
Dean Briefed about the History of Thomas Jefferson University and presented about the college of nursing, Thomas Jefferson University.
a) Courses offered in TJU Nursing College
b) Doctor of Nurse Practice
c) Nurse Practitioner role and CRNA( Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist )
Interaction with Nurse Practitioner Students
The Dean Interacted with PG Students of Critical care Nurse Practitioner of 1st & 2nd Year. The students expressed their desire about to Visit TJU as part of Student Exchange Program and to understand the work culture of Nurse Practitioner of TJU.
Discussion with HOD’s regarding joint projects and funding
Dean of TJU discussed with the head of the department of Ins, where the concerned Head of the department briefed about the research work carried out with the collaboration of TJU. Dean of INS Explained the Initiated work with faculty in aspect with department
1. Indian Maternity Nurses attitude about Post Partum Care (PPC) – A qualitative study with Dept. of OBG Nursing.
2. Knowledge and attitudes of postpartum depression among health workers at various PHCs with Dept. of Community Health Nursing
3. Prevention of childhood injuries among mothers attending immunization clinic at KLE – A Focus group study with Dept. of Child Health Nursing
4. Impact of cervical cancer diagnosis on partner relationships with Dept. of Medical Surgical Nursing
Explained about the progress of the undergoing project on Knowledge and attitude of KLE hospital nurses regarding mental health
• The project started with Dept. of Mental Health Nursing.
• Data collection was carried out in various wards of the Dr.Prabhakar Kore charitable hospital and MRC, Belagavi.
• Total 400 samples data collection was done.
Visit to Basic Science Research Centre.
The Dean’s visited Basic Science Research Centre and welcomed by Dr.Sunil Jalalpure , Deputy Director of BSRC . Orientation was done and explained about the Projects sanctioned by the Govt. of India and other research activities carried out in the centre.
Tour of KLES Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital & Medical Research Centre
Dr. Sudha Raddi, Dean faculty of Nursing, and Principal, KAHER INS, Belagavi and Dr. Sanjeev Kumar, Dean faculty of Physiotherapy and Principal, KAHER IPT, Belagvi accompanied, Dr. Marie Ann Marino Dean Faculty of Nursing, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia USA visited to KLES’s Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital & MRC, Belagavi and KLES’s Dr. Prabhakar Kore Charitable Hospital, Belagavi on 18.08.2019 from 11.30 am to 01.00 pm.
As per the itinerary, visited to MD & CEO office, where interacted with Dr. M. V. Jali, Medical Director and Chief Executive Officer, KLES’s Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital & MRC, Belagavi. During the visit Sir explained about the bed strength, accreditations, achievements, and different specialty and super specialty services available in the hospital.
Visited to Markandeya ICU, Dr. Ambresh oriented the ward and explained the care provided at Markandeya ICU.
Visited to Pediatric ward, along with Ward I/C Nursing Superintendent oriented the ward, bed strength and the various care providing to the needy children. Visited to PICU, Kangaroo Mother Care and Milk bank. Concerned ward I/C were explained the brief information about their ward, care how they provide and success rate of treatment.
Visit to Primary Health Centre, Kinaye
Dean & Faculty, Thomas Jefferson University, USA, visited Kinaye PHC on 19th September 2019 at 11.30 am. Dr. Prashant , medical officer PHC welcomed and interacted them with the staffs and students. During their visit discussed regarding overview of Primary health centre Kinaye, functions, and staffing pattern of PHC, population covered, Outreach activities conducted In the PHC and regarding ASHA workers, infrastructure, OPD, Lab, OT, Labour room, Pharmacy and service provided, National health programmes conducted, Cold chain maintenance, blood storage facility, referral services, training and continuing education of health team, IEC activities for the specific problems, public private partnership, health schemes and interacted with the patients and relatives.
Visit & Interaction with MPH department faculty & students
Interaction with PG and UG Students.
Students interacted with Dean of TJU on the following matters
- Students elective placement
- The courses offered by TJU
- PG Students discussed about the Nurse Practitioner Course.
PROPOSED OUTCOMES OF THE DEAN’S VISIT, TJU
• Next visit from TJU CON, Research Chair (Amy Szajna /Patricia Kelly) in Feb-Mar, 2020.
• Next visit from KAHER will be by Dean, INS, India in Mar-Apr, 2020 for attending the ENRS Conference at Boston and presenting a paper / poster on KLE-TJU global collaboration.
• Proposal to conduct a study on use of artificial intelligence to detect and test item bias in health profession curriculum – an interprofessional analysis.
• Proposal to conduct a study on use of students as standardized patient. Books on scripts for standardized patients and how to use standardized patient will be sent by TJU. – A pilot study for funding will be done.
• Proposed foot clinics in Community settings like sugarcane fields, factories to begin as interdisciplinary team.
• Proposal for inter professional funding in palliative care. (Medical & Nursing)
• To introduce interdisciplinary health fair (All Constituent Units of KAHER) annually.
• Proposed study on nurses knowledge, attitude and self-efficacy in oral care among patients with tracheostomy in collaboration with VK Institute of Dental Sciences (Interdisciplinary study).
• Starting Online courses on
1. Leadership / Reflection-Existing modules of TJU to be shared.
2. Mental health first aid-Existing modules to be shared
3. Nurse Practitioner –online modules will be shared by TJU
• Student exchange programme
• In respect of the 2020 year, declared by WHO as the year of Nursing & Midwifery, the safe motherhood day will be celebrated jointly by TJU & KLE on April 8th, 2020.
• Dean TJU proposed to fund three online academic scholarships.
• Dean TJU also proposed to fund scholarships for online CNE of Antibiotic Strengthening program.