Value Added Course on Psychiatric Rehabilitation
Total Duration: 30 Hours.
Theory: 15 Hours.
Practical: 15 Hours.
Psychosocial Rehabilitation focuses on the concept of recovery and utilizes the PSR approach to keep the person with mental illness at the centre of all interventions. It is grounded in the notion of recovery and self-determination (empowerment) for individuals with severe and persistent mental-illness.
This course explores the ways and means of how psychosocial/psychiatric rehabilitation can assist the individual and the mental health system in achieving recovery. This course focuses on core concepts of psychiatric rehabilitation, psychiatric rehabilitation models and methods, and some of the key competencies for working in a psychiatric rehabilitation environment.
During this course, students will
- Acquire and/or enhance their ability to apply critical thinking through an understanding of the theoretical, philosophical and applied nature of PSR.
- Gain a familiarity with mental health services’ utilization of PSR practices and/or opportunity for growth in PSR practice.
- Become familiar with some of the key methods available to assist individuals with mental illness in their recovery process.
- Understand the core competencies required to successfully practice PSR.
- Successful completion of the Introduction to Mental Health course and/or be a health professional with current experience in the mental health field.
Content covered in this course includes:
|Sr.No||Name of the topic||Theory Hours||Practical Hours.|
|1.||Defining mental illness, stigma and resiliency||02 Hour||—|
|2.||Course, outcome and treatment of mental illness||02 Hours||02 Hours|
|3.||Family involvement: a shifting paradigm||02 Hours||02 Hours|
|4.||Foundations of PSR||01 Hours||02 Hours|
|5.||PSR methods and models||02 Hours||02 Hours|
|6.||Strengths model: framework and application||01 Hours||01 Hours|
· Ethical decision-making
· Communications: one-to-one
· Communications: group work/advocacy
· Communications: written documentation
· Goal setting
· Direct skills
· Community mapping and networking
|05 Hours||06 Hours|
Best Practices in Psychiatric Rehabilitation
- Independent study
Assignments and due dates:
- 4 assignments
- 1 exam
Minimum grade to pass is 50 percent.